- Phoenix Theatre to Change Name for 100th AnniversaryPosted 3 days ago
- Troupe Vertigo and The Phoenix Symphony to Perform ‘Cirque Swan Lake’Posted 3 days ago
- Arizona Good Business Summit Offers Solutions to Build Profit and CommunityPosted 1 week ago
- Senator Barry M. Goldwater’s Arizona Images Featured in Exhibition at Scottsdale’s Museum of the WestPosted 1 week ago
- Damien Sneed to Perform MLK Tribute on Jan. 25 at Mesa Arts CenterPosted 2 weeks ago
- Arizona Balloon Classic Coming Jan. 25-27, Benefiting United WayPosted 2 weeks ago
Southwest Shakespeare Company Celebrates 25th Season With Two Shows
Southwest Shakespeare Company will close out its main stage season with two of Shakespeare’s most enduring and important works on Feb. 23 at the Mesa Arts Center.
The company will present “As You Like It,” a romantic comedy directed by SSC’s new Artistic Director, Quinn Mattfeld. It will also “The Taming of the Shrew” starring Mattfeld and his wife Betsy Mugavero.
Both plays will be presented in repertory at the Mesa Arts Center’s Piper Auditorium using the company’s innovative Jacobean facade set piece.
General Admission ticket price is $25, and premium Seating is $35. Students, Educators, and audience members under 25 years-of-age are $13.
Attendees may arrive 45 minutes early and enjoy refreshments and live “Green Show” entertainment on the plaza, and 20 minutes prior to each show will be a director’s orientation on the Shadow Walk.
For those interested in additional review of the plays, SSC offers in-depth debriefing events:
• Stop-Action-Shakespeare, “The Taming of the Shrew” Thursday, Feb 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the Piper Auditorium, Mesa Arts Center. Cost $10.
• The Flachmann Seminar, Saturday, March 2 at 9 a.m. at the Mildred Fitch Family Life Center, 1st United Methodist Church of Mesa. The cost is $60 and includes lunch and a matinee ticket. The directors and one playwright will be available for questions.