- Junior League Of Phoenix Foundation Announces Its 2019 Community Education & Wellness Mini-GrantsPosted 1 day ago
- Valley Of The Sun Active 20-20 Club Donates $109K To Children’s Charities Across Metro PhoenixPosted 4 days ago
- International Cruise & Excursions, Inc. Raises $11,000 In Annual Backpack DrivePosted 5 days ago
- Sojourner Center Announces Grant From The Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable TrustPosted 1 week ago
- Fiesta Bowl Opens Applications For 2019 Desert Financial Fiesta Bowl Parade Presented By Cheez-ItPosted 1 week ago
- Royse Contemporary Celebrates Two Year Anniversary With New ShowPosted 2 weeks ago
Thunderbirds Charities Funds Readtopia, A Groundbreaking Literacy Program For Adults With Disabilities
Thunderbirds Charities has awarded Gompers’ Assistive Technology team with $25,000 to support the implementation of Gompers’ groundbreaking program, Readtopia, a reading program aimed to teach literacy to adults with developmental disabilities.
In Readtopia, you won’t find elementary-looking line drawings and “See Spot Run” text. Designed initially for school-age students, Gompers brings Readtopia to adults with developmental disabilities for the first time. Readtopia brings first-hand experiential learning into the classroom, so members can bridge the gap between learning through reading and learning through experience.
“We are so thankful to Thunderbirds Charities,” said Mark Jacoby, President & CEO of Gompers. “Literacy should be a fundamental right for everyone, and by introducing a curriculum like Readtopia Gompers is providing our participants the opportunity to gain the same experience as everyone else.”
Thanks to the generous support of Thunderbirds Charities, Readtopia takes members down 1,000 feet in a submarine as they learn about oceanography. Members hear from Sacagawea to understand the journey Lewis and Clark faced heading west. Readtopia brings members into a volcano in Iceland to introduce them to the book Journey to the Center of the Earth.