- Junior League Of Phoenix Foundation Announces Its 2019 Community Education & Wellness Mini-GrantsPosted 23 hours ago
- Valley Of The Sun Active 20-20 Club Donates $109K To Children’s Charities Across Metro PhoenixPosted 4 days ago
- International Cruise & Excursions, Inc. Raises $11,000 In Annual Backpack DrivePosted 5 days ago
- Sojourner Center Announces Grant From The Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable TrustPosted 7 days ago
- Fiesta Bowl Opens Applications For 2019 Desert Financial Fiesta Bowl Parade Presented By Cheez-ItPosted 7 days ago
- Royse Contemporary Celebrates Two Year Anniversary With New ShowPosted 2 weeks ago
Arizona Sports And Entertainment Commission Announces 2019 Arizona Sports Hall Of Fame Class
The late University of Arizona football coach Dick Tomey, Olympic champion swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen, Arizona Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall, former boxing world champion Michael Carbajal, former Phoenix Suns star Tom Chambers and former Northern Arizona University Athletic Trainer Michael Nesbitt have been elected to the 2019 Arizona Sports Hall of Fame class, the Arizona Sports and Entertainment Commission (ASEC) announced today.
The Arizona Sports Hall of Fame honors athletes, coaches, administrators and others who have made significant contributions to Arizona sports. The 2019 class was selected by a vote of trustees and the public, which elected Nesbitt in online public balloting. The new members will be honored during the Crest Insurance Group Arizona Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Nov. 1 at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort.
“This Arizona Sports Hall of Fame class embodies the rich, diverse history of Arizona sports,” ASEC Executive Director Nikki Balich-Cammarata said. “Each of these honorees has played an important role in shaping that history.”
To be eligible for the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame, an individual must meet one of three criteria:
- A native of Arizona;
- Immediately recognized as an Arizonan;
- Have made at least two significant contributions to the athletics community in Arizona.
Diane Doerschel has been named Grand Canyon State Games Contributor of the Year and also will be honored at the Induction Ceremony. Doerschel was selected from the thousands of people who have competed and/or contributed annually in the Games.
The Crest Insurance Group Arizona Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will kick off at 5 p.m. on November 1 with inductees meeting the media on the Red Carpet. The Paramount Promotions Pre-Party, with registration, cocktails and a raffle, begins at 5:30 p.m. at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort. ASEC Vice Chairman Micah Kinsler will co-chair the event with Dan Lewis, who was selected as the Community Chair.