- Canal Convergence’s ‘Reflection Rising’ Receives National Honor From Public Art NetworkPosted 3 hours ago
- The Board Of Visitors Announces The 2020 Flower GirlsPosted 3 days ago
- Joseph Benesh Named Executive Director Of Arizona Citizens For The ArtsPosted 3 days ago
- Young Father Finds Year Up Arizona Program To Build Future For Himself And His FamilyPosted 4 days ago
- Delta Dental Of Arizona Gives Grant Towards Dental Care Project For Formerly Homeless Children And MothersPosted 4 days ago
- Franciscan Renewal Center Opens New Community Life FacilityPosted 4 days ago
Arizona Sports And Entertainment Commission Announces 2019 Arizona Sports Hall Of Fame Class
The late University of Arizona football coach Dick Tomey, Olympic champion swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen, Arizona Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall, former boxing world champion Michael Carbajal, former Phoenix Suns star Tom Chambers and former Northern Arizona University Athletic Trainer Michael Nesbitt have been elected to the 2019 Arizona Sports Hall of Fame class, the Arizona Sports and Entertainment Commission (ASEC) announced today.
The Arizona Sports Hall of Fame honors athletes, coaches, administrators and others who have made significant contributions to Arizona sports. The 2019 class was selected by a vote of trustees and the public, which elected Nesbitt in online public balloting. The new members will be honored during the Crest Insurance Group Arizona Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Nov. 1 at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort.
“This Arizona Sports Hall of Fame class embodies the rich, diverse history of Arizona sports,” ASEC Executive Director Nikki Balich-Cammarata said. “Each of these honorees has played an important role in shaping that history.”
To be eligible for the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame, an individual must meet one of three criteria:
- A native of Arizona;
- Immediately recognized as an Arizonan;
- Have made at least two significant contributions to the athletics community in Arizona.
Diane Doerschel has been named Grand Canyon State Games Contributor of the Year and also will be honored at the Induction Ceremony. Doerschel was selected from the thousands of people who have competed and/or contributed annually in the Games.
The Crest Insurance Group Arizona Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will kick off at 5 p.m. on November 1 with inductees meeting the media on the Red Carpet. The Paramount Promotions Pre-Party, with registration, cocktails and a raffle, begins at 5:30 p.m. at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort. ASEC Vice Chairman Micah Kinsler will co-chair the event with Dan Lewis, who was selected as the Community Chair.