- Phoenix Theatre Company Celebrating Centennial Season With Lineup of Classic, Contemporary ProductionsPosted 1 day ago
- Warners’ Celebrity Game Night Honors Fitzgerald, Raises $330K for Treasure HousePosted 2 days ago
- Arizona Citizens for the Arts’ ‘Rusty’ Foley Announces Summer RetirementPosted 1 week ago
- Local Philanthropist, Business Leader Latasha Causey Named CEO of Social Venture Partners ArizonaPosted 1 week ago
- ‘Glendale Works’ Program Strives to Create Jobs and Reduce HomelessnessPosted 2 weeks ago
- Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art to Launch 20th AnniversaryPosted 2 weeks ago
Troupe Vertigo and The Phoenix Symphony to Perform ‘Cirque Swan Lake’
Troupe Vertigo is premiering “Cirque Swan Lake” in collaboration with The Phoenix Symphony at the Mesa Arts Center from Jan. 18-20.
Conducted by Music Director Tito Muñoz, The Phoenix Symphony will play Tchaikovsky’s timeless score as Troupe Vertigo’s artists perform perilous balancing acts, contort and take flight above the orchestra for a never-before seen re-telling of the fairytale filled with romance and tragedy.
“We are thrilled to once again share the stage with Troupe Vertigo for an original world premiere production of the beloved classic Swan Lake,” says Jim Ward, President and CEO of The Phoenix Symphony. “Our partnership, which fuses classical masterworks with the breathtaking energy of Cirque performers, has delighted our audiences over the last two seasons. We look forward to presenting more classical masterpieces in new and innovative ways alongside Troupe Vertigo.”
“The opportunity for our troupe of circus-dance-theater artists to tell these well-revered stories, alongside a world-class orchestra, has allowed Troupe Vertigo to dream big,” says co-founder Aloysia Gavre. “In Cirque Swan Lake, we drew a line from the grand pageantry of Swan Lake to the regal themes commonly embodied by our performers on stage. Once the parallels were drawn we saw a clear path to using the troupe’s multitude of high-level circus skills to recreate the classic ballet story of forbidden love, and of evil spells broken by the triumph of friendships.”
Gavre is a Cirque Du Soleil alum and has been shepherding Troupe Vertigo artistically since she co-founded the company in 2009 with husband and partner Rex Camphuis. For both The Phoenix Symphony and Troupe Vertigo, this developing partnership comes with the added benefit of increasing the symphony’s staple audience and expanding Troupe Vertigo’s growing national reach.
“Cirque Swan Lake” will run Friday through Sunday at 7:30 p.m. at the Mesa Arts Center, located at 1 East Main Street, Mesa, AZ 85201. Tickets are available starting at $45.