- Visit Mesa Becomes First-Ever Autism-Certified Destination Marketing OrganizationPosted 1 hour ago
- Flinn Foundation Selects 20 Excelling Arizona High-School Seniors as 2019 Flinn ScholarsPosted 1 day ago
- Award-Winning Journalist Lisa Ling to Keynote United Way LuncheonPosted 2 days ago
- Gateway for Cancer Research Approves $1.5 Million Grant to Fund Pediatric Brain Cancer Research at PCHPosted 1 week ago
- Scottsdale Leadership’s Class 33 Completes Memorial Garden ProjectPosted 1 week ago
- Audubon Arizona, National Forest Foundation and NAU Introduce Students to Careers in ConservationPosted 1 week ago
Troupe Vertigo and The Phoenix Symphony to Perform ‘Cirque Swan Lake’
Troupe Vertigo is premiering “Cirque Swan Lake” in collaboration with The Phoenix Symphony at the Mesa Arts Center from Jan. 18-20.
Conducted by Music Director Tito Muñoz, The Phoenix Symphony will play Tchaikovsky’s timeless score as Troupe Vertigo’s artists perform perilous balancing acts, contort and take flight above the orchestra for a never-before seen re-telling of the fairytale filled with romance and tragedy.
“We are thrilled to once again share the stage with Troupe Vertigo for an original world premiere production of the beloved classic Swan Lake,” says Jim Ward, President and CEO of The Phoenix Symphony. “Our partnership, which fuses classical masterworks with the breathtaking energy of Cirque performers, has delighted our audiences over the last two seasons. We look forward to presenting more classical masterpieces in new and innovative ways alongside Troupe Vertigo.”
“The opportunity for our troupe of circus-dance-theater artists to tell these well-revered stories, alongside a world-class orchestra, has allowed Troupe Vertigo to dream big,” says co-founder Aloysia Gavre. “In Cirque Swan Lake, we drew a line from the grand pageantry of Swan Lake to the regal themes commonly embodied by our performers on stage. Once the parallels were drawn we saw a clear path to using the troupe’s multitude of high-level circus skills to recreate the classic ballet story of forbidden love, and of evil spells broken by the triumph of friendships.”
Gavre is a Cirque Du Soleil alum and has been shepherding Troupe Vertigo artistically since she co-founded the company in 2009 with husband and partner Rex Camphuis. For both The Phoenix Symphony and Troupe Vertigo, this developing partnership comes with the added benefit of increasing the symphony’s staple audience and expanding Troupe Vertigo’s growing national reach.
“Cirque Swan Lake” will run Friday through Sunday at 7:30 p.m. at the Mesa Arts Center, located at 1 East Main Street, Mesa, AZ 85201. Tickets are available starting at $45.