- Flinn Foundation Selects 20 Excelling Arizona High-School Seniors as 2019 Flinn ScholarsPosted 21 hours ago
- Award-Winning Journalist Lisa Ling to Keynote United Way LuncheonPosted 1 day ago
- Gateway for Cancer Research Approves $1.5 Million Grant to Fund Pediatric Brain Cancer Research at PCHPosted 7 days ago
- Scottsdale Leadership’s Class 33 Completes Memorial Garden ProjectPosted 7 days ago
- Audubon Arizona, National Forest Foundation and NAU Introduce Students to Careers in ConservationPosted 1 week ago
- Circle K Golf Tournament Raises More Than $800,000Posted 2 weeks ago
Desert Stages Theatre Presents Three New Performances
Desert Stages Theatre is presenting the Arizona debut of Broadway musical “Disaster!” as well as “Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks” and “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.”
Written by Broadway superstar Seth Rudetsky, the Broadway musical “Disaster!” takes place in the 1970’s, as New York’s hottest A-list celebrities line up for the opening of New York’s newest floating casino and discotheque. As the floating venue takes off, the eccentric group of characters are thrown into trial after trial, as the ship succumbs to several disasters.
Alongside “Disaster!,” DST will be performing “Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks,” directed by Joy Bingham Strimple. “Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks” follows the relationship between the aged Lily, played by Barbara McBain and her acerbic dance instructor Michael, played by Roger Prenger.
On January 18, DST will present the teen musical sensation, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.” The show begins as an eclectic group of six mid-pubescents contend for the spelling championship of Putnam County. As the group competes against one another, they share a number of stories from their home lives both hilarious and touching. The musical comedy will be directed by Lisa Barton Figueroa and be performed by actors ages 12 through 22.
Performances of “Disaster!” began on Jan. 11 and end on Feb. 9. “Disaster!” will play Thursday through Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. “Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks” will have a six-week run starting Jan. 18 through March 8, with performances every Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” will run from Jan. 19 until Feb. 10, with performances every Saturday at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. and every Sunday at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.