- Phoenix Theatre to Change Name for 100th AnniversaryPosted 3 days ago
- Troupe Vertigo and The Phoenix Symphony to Perform ‘Cirque Swan Lake’Posted 3 days ago
- Arizona Good Business Summit Offers Solutions to Build Profit and CommunityPosted 1 week ago
- Senator Barry M. Goldwater’s Arizona Images Featured in Exhibition at Scottsdale’s Museum of the WestPosted 1 week ago
- Damien Sneed to Perform MLK Tribute on Jan. 25 at Mesa Arts CenterPosted 2 weeks ago
- Arizona Balloon Classic Coming Jan. 25-27, Benefiting United WayPosted 2 weeks ago
Damien Sneed to Perform MLK Tribute on Jan. 25 at Mesa Arts Center
Multi-genre recording artist Damien Sneed embarks on a 36-city North American tour, “We Shall Overcome: A Celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr,” including a one-night-only performance at Mesa Arts Center on Friday, January 25 at 7:30 p.m.
The Sphinx Medal of Excellence recipient will bring his brand of classical, jazz, and gospel music to concert halls and universities in the U.S. and Canada.
This year marks the 35th Anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which was signed into law and made a federal holiday in 1983. The “We Shall Overcome” tour will continue through Black History Month and the early part of Women’s History Month.
“I look forward to honoring the life and legacy of the great civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., in my upcoming tour as well as many other great artists and public figures who used their voices and their art to let the world know that one day we will truly overcome,” Sneed said.
Joining Sneed on tour is an ensemble of multi-genre vocalists and instrumentalists including Chenee Campbell (vocalist), Markita Knight (vocalist), Anitra McKinney (vocalist), Alicia Peters-Jordan (vocalist), Annalisha Jacobs (vocalist), Tekesha Russell (vocalist), Linny Smith (vocalist), Aaron Chisholm (vocalist), along with special guest artist, and jazz newcomer Camille Thurman, and classical recording artists Patrice Eaton, Audrey DuBois Harris, Brandie Sutton, and Kierra Hogan, who will all appear on select tour dates. The musicians include Mark Clark (drums), John Matthew Clark (bass), and Marquéz Cassidy (organ and keyboard).
Sneed is a pianist, organist, conductor, composer, producer, arranger, vocal coach, and arts educator whose work spans multiple genres. Sneed has worked with jazz, classical, pop, and R&B legends including the late Aretha Franklin, Wynton Marsalis, Jessye Norman, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Ashford & Simpson, Lawrence Brownlee, and many others.
Tickets for the Mesa Arts Center performance are available now at Mesa Arts Center’s Box Office, at mesaartscenter.com and by calling 480-644-6500.