- Nancy Roach Retires From Ronald McDonald House Charities After Nearly 20 Years; National Search PlannedPosted 7 hours ago
- Canal Convergence’s ‘Reflection Rising’ Receives National Honor From Public Art NetworkPosted 1 day ago
- The Board Of Visitors Announces The 2020 Flower GirlsPosted 4 days ago
- Joseph Benesh Named Executive Director Of Arizona Citizens For The ArtsPosted 4 days ago
- Young Father Finds Year Up Arizona Program To Build Future For Himself And His FamilyPosted 5 days ago
- Delta Dental Of Arizona Gives Grant Towards Dental Care Project For Formerly Homeless Children And MothersPosted 5 days ago
Arizona Balloon Classic Coming Jan. 25-27, Benefiting United Way
The 8th Annual Arizona Balloon Classic featuring the Street Foodfest will take place on Jan. 25-27, with proceeds benefiting Valley of the Sun United Way.
The Arizona Balloon Classic is Arizona’s premier hot air balloon race, and is expected to attract more than 20,000 visitors. In 2019, the Arizona Balloon Classic will consist of multiple “Hare and Hound” Hot Air Balloon races.
Actual hot air balloon racing consists of multiple competitions in order to get the closest to the center of a target, which will determine who the winner of the “Race” is. The “Hare” balloon leaves first to place the “Target” and the rest of the balloons; the “Hounds” chase the “Hare” to the target. The “Hound” balloons are subjected to dropping markers onto a large target on the ground. The closer the marker is to the center of the target; the better chances of qualifying for the $2,500 cash purse.
On the 26th and 27th, up to 30 hot air balloons will participate and partake in the competitions. Races will be open to the public in the evening on Jan. 25 and in the morning and evening on Jan. 26 and 27.
A portion of ticket sales will go directly back to Valley of the Sun United Way programs, specifically the Weekend Hunger Backpack program that provides food to Valley families in need. Valley of the Sun United Way’s mission is to break the cycle of poverty for Valley families.
The event will be held at the Goodyear Ballpark at 1933 S. Ballpark Way in Goodyear. In addition, there will be hot air balloon rides, hot air balloon tether rides, live music, food tasting, beer garden, family fun zone, stunt bike riders, cooking demos and more.