- Creighton University Announces Construction of $100M Medical Campus in PhoenixPosted 3 days ago
- Frontdoors Media Launches Several New Initiatives To Expand Reach in Community — Including New Print MagazinePosted 1 week ago
- ‘Operation Uplift’ Valley of the Sun United Way Civic Service Campaign Kicks OffPosted 2 weeks ago
- Finding A RainbowPosted 2 weeks ago
- Charity Spotlight: one-n-tenPosted 2 weeks ago
- Suited with Confidence, Hope and StylePosted 2 weeks ago
‘Historymakers’ Announced at Arizona Statehood Celebration
Posted By Jamie Killin on February 15, 2018
Arizona’s six 2019 “Historymakers” were revealed at an Arizona Statehood Day celebration at the Arizona Heritage Center at Papago Park earlier this month.
The honorees include Betsey Bayless, Dr. Arthur DeCabooter, Michael J. Fox, Alfredo Gutierrez, Merrill Mahaffey and Vernon D. Swaback. Historymakers are recognized for their lasting contributions to society in diverse areas including education, architecture and the arts.
“It’s a tremendous honor to name this year’s Historymakers and give them the recognition they deserve for their accomplishments, contributions, service and leadership,” said Diana Smith, the Historymakers recognition chairman. “Our 2019 recipients are highly diverse, and yet they share a common thread – they’re all dedicated to making substantial, positive impacts on the state and their surrounding communities.”
The event included a special presentation by Marshall Trimble, Arizona’s official state historian, and Dolan Ellis, Arizona’s official state balladeer.
The Historymakers will be honored with biographies, portraits, oral histories, photos and other memorabilia to be archived and exhibited at the Arizona Heritage Center.
Past honorees include Sandra Day O’Connor, Bill Keane, Eddie Basha, Senator Jon Kyl and Dr. Robert Spetzler.
The annual “Historymakers” Gala will take place on February 23, 2019.