- We’re Bringing Back the Society of Chairs Gala — With a Frontdoors TwistPosted 2 weeks ago
- Campfire & Marshmallows Gala to Raise Funds to Send Kids Affected by Cancer to CampPosted 3 weeks ago
- We Are UNITED Speaker Vanessa Williams ‘Maddened’ by Hunger EpidemicPosted 4 weeks ago
- Brenda and Kurt Warner’s Celebrity Game Night Honoring Shane Doan Raises Funds for Treasure HousePosted 1 month ago
- ‘Historymakers’ Announced at Arizona Statehood CelebrationPosted 1 month ago
- Celebrating 125 Years of ServicePosted 1 month ago
‘Historymakers’ Announced at Arizona Statehood Celebration
Posted By Jamie Killin on February 15, 2018
Arizona’s six 2019 “Historymakers” were revealed at an Arizona Statehood Day celebration at the Arizona Heritage Center at Papago Park earlier this month.
The honorees include Betsey Bayless, Dr. Arthur DeCabooter, Michael J. Fox, Alfredo Gutierrez, Merrill Mahaffey and Vernon D. Swaback. Historymakers are recognized for their lasting contributions to society in diverse areas including education, architecture and the arts.
“It’s a tremendous honor to name this year’s Historymakers and give them the recognition they deserve for their accomplishments, contributions, service and leadership,” said Diana Smith, the Historymakers recognition chairman. “Our 2019 recipients are highly diverse, and yet they share a common thread – they’re all dedicated to making substantial, positive impacts on the state and their surrounding communities.”
The event included a special presentation by Marshall Trimble, Arizona’s official state historian, and Dolan Ellis, Arizona’s official state balladeer.
The Historymakers will be honored with biographies, portraits, oral histories, photos and other memorabilia to be archived and exhibited at the Arizona Heritage Center.
Past honorees include Sandra Day O’Connor, Bill Keane, Eddie Basha, Senator Jon Kyl and Dr. Robert Spetzler.
The annual “Historymakers” Gala will take place on February 23, 2019.