- Free Tickets Available To See PJ Masks At Phoenix Famtastical FestivalPosted 3 days ago
- Arizona Dept. Of Housing Honors First Place AZ With 2019 Housing Hero AwardPosted 3 days ago
- ‘Kinky Boots,’ A Joyful Musical About Finding Your Footing, Comes To The Phoenix Theatre CompanyPosted 3 days ago
- Arizona Couple Asks For Donations for Cancer Charity Instead of Wedding GiftsPosted 3 days ago
- Kids Heart Challenge Awards Grants To Elementary SchoolsPosted 1 week ago
- Diamondbacks Players Raise Funds and Awareness Through Fantasy Football Draft EventPosted 1 week ago
D-Backs Donate 35K to St. Joseph’s At 3rd Annual Great Shave-Off
Posted By Jamie Killin on December 8, 2017
Arizona Diamondbacks players participated in their third annual Great Shave-Off on Friday, December 1, shedding the facial hair they grew in November as part of the Let Your Humankindness Grow campaign benefiting men’s cancer care at St. Joseph’s.
During the event, the team was able to donate $35,000 to St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center thanks to their efforts to bring awareness to the cause.
The event took place at the UA Cancer Center at St. Joseph’s. Both Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall and Luis “Gonzo” Gonzalez, the outfielder who led the team to the World Series Championship in 2001, participated in the event.
Hall, a prostate cancer survivor, took the opportunity to remind event attendees to get screened for the disease. His wife is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer and he lost his father to pancreatic cancer in 2011.
“Cancer has really impacted my family to an extreme degree,” he said. “So this month really allows me to get out in front of other men to encourage them to get detected.”