- Six Salt River Project Employees Honored for VolunteerismPosted 21 hours ago
- Visit Mesa Becomes First-Ever Autism-Certified Destination Marketing OrganizationPosted 5 days ago
- Flinn Foundation Selects 20 Excelling Arizona High-School Seniors as 2019 Flinn ScholarsPosted 6 days ago
- Award-Winning Journalist Lisa Ling to Keynote United Way LuncheonPosted 7 days ago
- Gateway for Cancer Research Approves $1.5 Million Grant to Fund Pediatric Brain Cancer Research at PCHPosted 2 weeks ago
- Scottsdale Leadership’s Class 33 Completes Memorial Garden ProjectPosted 2 weeks ago
Embracing Native American Culture
“Embracing Empowerment through Fashion” is the theme for the 4th Annual AIGSA Fashion Show. The theme highlights the unique Native culture of today through the art of fashion, visually displaying elements of our Native heritage. The AIGSA Fashion Show serves as a medium to embrace the confidence and power of the Native imagery through a diverse bravura style of bold Native designers. AIGSA has gathered those fashion designers that best support a relevant cultural message amassed in beliefs, history and beauty.
This year, designers and model participants are from Arizona, New Mexico and New York and represent tribes throughout the U.S. The various designs and accessories reflect the diversity of cultures and traditions of the Native community. Incorporating traditional concepts into modern fashion provides a powerful form of cultural expression. ASU Student and amateur designers and models will be participating alongside professionals. Last year over 300 people attended and this year even more are expected.
The American Indian Graduate Student Association is a student organization at Arizona State University that strives to support American Indian graduate students in higher education, serves as mentors to the American Indian undergraduates and raises awareness of American Indian culture, issues and concerns. The purpose of the AIGSA Fashion Show is to celebrate the many inspirational and successful Native American people in the community and to raise the awareness of the public and society as a whole.
Featured Designers include Cher Thomas, Shayne Watson, Suite JSG, Hershel Bedonie, Earle Couture by Felix Earle, Penny Singer, Designhouse Darylene, and Keytha Fixico
The AIGSA Fashion Show is a free event that will take place on Thursday, April 17, 2014 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Old Main Lawn at the Arizona State University, Tempe Campus.