- Phoenix Suns Invest $1 Million In Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Phoenix Expansion InitiativesPosted 4 days ago
- Two Pups Wellness Fund Allocates $23,000 To Shine Light On Maricopa County Animal Care And Control’s Surgical CenterPosted 6 days ago
- Xavier College Prep Golfer Claims Pro-Junior Title, Wins $50k For The First TeePosted 7 days ago
- Walmart Helps Local Food Banks Feed Arizona’s Estimated 979,170 Food Insecure IndividualsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Boys & Girls Clubs Of Metro Phoenix Presents The Renee LaBelle Parsons Girls Leadership AwardPosted 3 weeks ago
- New Serafina Coffee Shop On 7th Avenue Unites Local Businesses With Local Teen ArtistsPosted 3 weeks ago
Embracing Native American Culture
“Embracing Empowerment through Fashion” is the theme for the 4th Annual AIGSA Fashion Show. The theme highlights the unique Native culture of today through the art of fashion, visually displaying elements of our Native heritage. The AIGSA Fashion Show serves as a medium to embrace the confidence and power of the Native imagery through a diverse bravura style of bold Native designers. AIGSA has gathered those fashion designers that best support a relevant cultural message amassed in beliefs, history and beauty.
This year, designers and model participants are from Arizona, New Mexico and New York and represent tribes throughout the U.S. The various designs and accessories reflect the diversity of cultures and traditions of the Native community. Incorporating traditional concepts into modern fashion provides a powerful form of cultural expression. ASU Student and amateur designers and models will be participating alongside professionals. Last year over 300 people attended and this year even more are expected.
The American Indian Graduate Student Association is a student organization at Arizona State University that strives to support American Indian graduate students in higher education, serves as mentors to the American Indian undergraduates and raises awareness of American Indian culture, issues and concerns. The purpose of the AIGSA Fashion Show is to celebrate the many inspirational and successful Native American people in the community and to raise the awareness of the public and society as a whole.
Featured Designers include Cher Thomas, Shayne Watson, Suite JSG, Hershel Bedonie, Earle Couture by Felix Earle, Penny Singer, Designhouse Darylene, and Keytha Fixico
The AIGSA Fashion Show is a free event that will take place on Thursday, April 17, 2014 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Old Main Lawn at the Arizona State University, Tempe Campus.