- Canal Convergence’s ‘Reflection Rising’ Receives National Honor From Public Art NetworkPosted 6 hours ago
- The Board Of Visitors Announces The 2020 Flower GirlsPosted 3 days ago
- Joseph Benesh Named Executive Director Of Arizona Citizens For The ArtsPosted 3 days ago
- Young Father Finds Year Up Arizona Program To Build Future For Himself And His FamilyPosted 4 days ago
- Delta Dental Of Arizona Gives Grant Towards Dental Care Project For Formerly Homeless Children And MothersPosted 4 days ago
- Franciscan Renewal Center Opens New Community Life FacilityPosted 4 days ago
Great for beach-themed parties or just adding a little plated fun in the sun.
- 1 oblong to round seedless watermelon
- Paper and pencil for outline
- Spreader or small knife
- Vanilla cake frosting or thick yogurt
- Cupcake icing tubes in various colors
- Small cookie cutters of your choosing
- Optional: Brown sugar or “Sugar in the Raw” for garnish
1. Rinse the watermelon under cool running water, pat dry and have clean cutting services and utensils.
2. On a piece of paper, draw out the shape of a flip-flop. Use the scissors to cut the outline and set it aside. You may want more than one cutout, as the juicy watermelon will dampen your template.
3. Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise. Using the knife, carefully remove the rind from each half. From the rind pieces, cut thin green strips for the thong of the flip-flop.
4. Take the flip-flop outline and set it on top of the watermelon flesh. Carefully trace the outline with the your knife. Do this to both halves of the watermelon. Then trim each flip-flop for an even 4” “cake.”
5. Use the small cookie cutters for shapes to decorate the flip-flop using the excess watermelon flesh. We used little flowers.
6. You should now be looking at 2 flip-flop cutouts. Spread the cake frosting over top of each flip-flop. Use the cupcake frosting to add stripes or designs of your choosing over the cake frosting.
7. Put the thin strips of rind on top to make the thong and secure with toothpicks. Add the cookie cutter cutout in between the strips of rind and attach with a toothpick broken in half.
8. Optional, place flip flops on serving tray or large plate and spread brown sugar around the base to complete your beach look.
(Recipe Courtesy of Watermelon.org)