- Angry Crab Shack Donates More Than $87,500 To Arizona Housing CoalitionPosted 3 hours ago
- Ability360 Receives $40,000 Quality Of Life Grant From Christopher & Dana Reeve FoundationPosted 3 hours ago
- JDRF Arizona Chapter Appoints New Executive DirectorPosted 4 hours ago
- Junior League Of Phoenix Foundation Announces Its 2019 Community Education & Wellness Mini-GrantsPosted 2 days ago
- Valley Of The Sun Active 20-20 Club Donates $109K To Children’s Charities Across Metro PhoenixPosted 5 days ago
- International Cruise & Excursions, Inc. Raises $11,000 In Annual Backpack DrivePosted 6 days ago
Great for beach-themed parties or just adding a little plated fun in the sun.
- 1 oblong to round seedless watermelon
- Paper and pencil for outline
- Spreader or small knife
- Vanilla cake frosting or thick yogurt
- Cupcake icing tubes in various colors
- Small cookie cutters of your choosing
- Optional: Brown sugar or “Sugar in the Raw” for garnish
1. Rinse the watermelon under cool running water, pat dry and have clean cutting services and utensils.
2. On a piece of paper, draw out the shape of a flip-flop. Use the scissors to cut the outline and set it aside. You may want more than one cutout, as the juicy watermelon will dampen your template.
3. Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise. Using the knife, carefully remove the rind from each half. From the rind pieces, cut thin green strips for the thong of the flip-flop.
4. Take the flip-flop outline and set it on top of the watermelon flesh. Carefully trace the outline with the your knife. Do this to both halves of the watermelon. Then trim each flip-flop for an even 4” “cake.”
5. Use the small cookie cutters for shapes to decorate the flip-flop using the excess watermelon flesh. We used little flowers.
6. You should now be looking at 2 flip-flop cutouts. Spread the cake frosting over top of each flip-flop. Use the cupcake frosting to add stripes or designs of your choosing over the cake frosting.
7. Put the thin strips of rind on top to make the thong and secure with toothpicks. Add the cookie cutter cutout in between the strips of rind and attach with a toothpick broken in half.
8. Optional, place flip flops on serving tray or large plate and spread brown sugar around the base to complete your beach look.
(Recipe Courtesy of Watermelon.org)